Olympic Torch Relay
Traffic and Travel information
On Friday 8 June 2012, you can welcome and cheer on the Olympic Torch as it travels
through eight South Ayrshire towns and villages en route to the Olympics opening
ceremony in London on 27 July.
At 7.06am on Friday 8 June, the Olympic Torch will enter South Ayrshire at the Ballantrae
village sign on the A77 over the River Stinchar, marking the start of a fantastic
three and a half hours of memorable moments, sensational singing and fun and games
as the Olympic Torch Relay winds its way from Ballantrae to Ayr.
The Torch will be cheered on by thousands of school children and members of the
public as it travels through Ballantrae (7.06-7.16am), Girvan (7.36-8.00am), Turnberry
(8.09-8.16am), Maidens (8.22-8.28am), Kirkoswald (8.36-8.39am), Maybole (9.09-9.22am),
Alloway (9.35-9.55am) and Ayr (9.58-10.21am).
So the Torch and its convoy can travel between our communities as easily as possible,
a number of short-term rolling road closures and parking restrictions will be in
place – make sure you know how the Torch Relay could impact on your travel and transportation
on Friday 8 June.
Please note, where a diversion route is available, this is identified alongside
the road closure.
- B7044 Mains Road will be closed at junction with A77 eastwards for a short time
between 6am and 7.30am.
- The Avenue will be closed at the junction with Montgomerie Street eastwards between
7.45am and 8am.
- The full length of both Hamilton Street and Montgomerie Street will be closed between
7.45am and 8am. No parking will be permitted between 7am and 8am.
- The full length of the C28 Blawearie Road will be closed between 8.15am and 8.40am.
- St Cuthbert’s Street will be closed between Kirkland Street and Cassillis Road between
9am and 9.30am.
- The full length of Barns Road will be closed between 9am and 9.30am. No parking
will be permitted between 7am and 9.30am.
- Culzean Road will be closed between Cassillis Road and Barns Terrace between 9am
- No parking will be permitted on Barns Terrace between Barns Road and Alloway Road
between 7am and 11am.
- Murdoch's Lone will be closed between Alloway and Doonholm Road between 9am and
11am. No parking will be permitted between 7am and 11am.
- Killoch Place will be closed at its junction with Burns Statue Square between 10am
- The full length of Alloway Street in Ayr will be closed between 10am and 10.30am.
- The full length of High Street will be closed between 10am and 10.30am.
- A diversion route is available via Burns Statue Square, Station Bridge, Station
Road, John Street, King Street, Main street and New Bridge Street.
- The full length of Pavilion Road will be closed between 7am and 12 noon and no parking
will be permitted.
- The full length of Bath Place will be closed between 7am and 12 noon and no parking
will be permitted.
- A diversion route is available via Cassillis Street and Charlotte Street.
View Road Closures