South Ayrshire Provost Helen Moonie and Councillor Margaret Toner met some of the professional artists and young people who created the artwork.
A free exhibition, created by young people from 15 South Ayrshire Council schools, created on the Holocaust Memorial Day 2015 theme of 'Keep the Memory Alive', in the reception area of the County Buildings in Ayr has been well received by the public.
Holocaust Memorial Day took place on 27 January 2015, marking the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau and the 20th anniversary of the Genocide in Srebrenica, Bosnia.
As part of activities in schools to mark the Holocaust five artists worked with young people to create artwork using willow, glass, felt, media and printmaking all reflecting the 'Keep the Memory Alive' theme.
Councillor Margaret Toner, Lifelong Learning Portfolio Holder for the Council said: "The artwork created by the young people clearly demonstrates their understanding of the Holocaust and how important it is to remember it.
"There has been very positive feedback from those who have viewed the exhibition and the skills of the young artists are very apparent in their creative and inspiring work."
Here are some comments from people who viewed the exhibition:
- "It sends a very powerful message."
- "I found the display very moving and very impressive."
- "It's a really thought provoking exhibition, especially knowing it has been created by children at Primary and Secondary schools across South Ayrshire."
- "I think it's wonderful how all the different mediums of art can be used to reflect the same topic- demonstrating so many ways to keep the memory alive."
- "A fantastic exhibition, we must never forget."
- "The display is a great way for children to express their own personal view of the Holocaust and what it means to them in a unique and interesting way."
- "It's fantastic that the younger generation have become involved and have demonstrated their appreciation and understanding of such a contemptible but pivotal point in history."
The free exhibition will be on display in the reception area of the County Buildings in Ayr from 26 January 2015 until 5 February 2015 access can be gained 8.45am to 4.45pm Monday to Thursday and 8.45am to 4pm on Friday.