South Ayrshire Council has started repair work at Newton Park pond in Ayr which will significantly extend the life of the pond so that people can enjoy it for years to come.
Newton Park pond, which is over 100 years old, is situated in a public park in Ayr. It is the only concrete boating pond in the whole of the south west of Scotland.
Councillor John McDowall, Sustainability and Environment Portfolio Holder for the Council said: "I am delighted that work has now started on Newton Pond to repair a very special feature in the park. The pond is much loved by people of all ages in the local community and visitors to the area.
"The pond draws people to the park to enjoy spending time in this tranquil place, admiring the planting and socialising with friends. I am particularly pleased that children from local schools have been involved in planting projects there, teaching them the importance of Newton Park and looking after the environment."
The repair work being carried out involves concreting part of the interior of the pond to prevent it leaking so that in the near future it can again be used to its full potential. Once refilled people will be able to enjoy watching the water, sailing boats on it and watching the wildlife that will return to the water habitat.
Friends of Newton Park said: "It is only thanks to main funding from South Ayrshire Council, a substantial sum from SAWET, local fundraising events, a Gala event, and many kind individual donations, no matter how small, that the present partial base repairs are able to go ahead. Over time the cracks in the concrete have deteriorated to such an extent that a reinforced waterproof concrete lining was the only long term solution, and we are very pleased to see these initial repairs to the Newton Park pond being started."
Here is what some of the people who enjoy Newton Park had to say about it:
- "Many people especially the elderly and those with young children visit the park only for the pond. To feed the ducks, sail boats or just to sit and enjoy the scenery."
- "The pond is what makes the park unique."
- "The beneficial effects of being near the water are well researched. It also brings in wildlife and gives enjoyment to adults and children alike."
- "People love watching and listening to water. It's very relaxing"
- "It's beneficial for our wildlife."
- "Lovely asset to the area. Being able to feed the ducks is a lovely thing for families to do. Nice to sit on the benches and just chill beside the pond. Fab to watch the model guys as well."
Members of the Model Boat Club, who have years of skills and expertise in model boating are always keen to encourage new members, particularly younger people, so that they can pass on their skills. If you would like to find out more about their activities or any others at Newton Park go to www.Newton-park-ayr.org.uk.