Ray Quinn will light up Ayr town centre when he switches on the Christmas lights.
There will be free festive fun for everyone when the Christmas lights are switched on in Ayr by the Champion of Champions from Dancing on Ice, X Factor finalist and star of stage and television Ray Quinn.
South Ayrshire Provost Helen Moonie and Ray Quinn will be joined by local X Factor star Andrew Merry, local legends Southbound and the cast of Ayr Gaiety pantomime Beauty and the Beast, including Katrina Bryan from CBeebies Nina and the Neurons.
The Christmas lights will be switched on at a special event from 4pm to 6pm in Ayr High Street on Sunday 16 November 2014 and will conclude a special Christmas in Ayr weekend with lots of activity for all of the family.
Provost Helen Moonie explained: "Switching on the lights in Ayr town centre will get us all into the festive spirit. It is such a magical time of the year when friends and families can come together and really get into the Christmas spirit and see Ayr town centre lit up to mark the festivities.
"Put a date in your diary to visit Ayr town centre on Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 November and remember between you will be treated to some outstanding free entertainment before the grand switch on of the lights."
The special Christmas in Ayr weekend (part funded by the ERDF (European Regional Development Fund) programme will bring the town centre to life with special Christmas events on Saturday 15 November 2014 including:
Santa and his reindeers making their way to Ayr Central Shopping Centre before the shopping centre's Christmas lights are switched on.
- The Kyle Centre Buskers starring local and upcoming talent.
- Victorian carol singers in Carrick Street singing traditional carols and the songs of Robert Burns.
- Kids at Loudoun hall where you can pop in and make Christmas crowns and Rudolph antlers.
- Santa Dash starring lots of Santas running 5k for Ayrshire Cancer Support.
- Merry Mischief Mayhem with some weird and wonderful 'Dreary Shoppers and Snow Queen'. You won't believe your eyes.
On Sunday 16 November 2014:
- Santa arrives in Ayr High Street at 1pm in his big Christmas tartan bus let by Ayr Pipe Band. You can then visit Santa throughout the day in his tartan grotto and help raise funds for Clic Sargent.
- Dunaskin Brass Band will be performing at The Fish Cross.
- The Kyle Centre Buskers entertain the crowds.
- Victorian carol singers in Carrick Street will be singing traditional carols and the songs of Robert Burns.
- Merry Mischief Mayhem with some weird and wonderful 'Dreary shoppers and Snow Queen' you won't believe your eyes.
- Hop aboard the Smiley Express, our friendly road train will take you on a trip up and down Ayr High Street.
- A Drop o' Cheer is a special Christmas whisky tasting event.
- Festive light switch on from 4pm to 6pm
- Fairground kiddy rides will be dotted around the High Street.
- More merry mischief mayhem with the weird and wonderful Fan Families and Nervous Forest you won't believe your eyes.
- The grand festive light switch on from 4pm to 6pm starring Ray Quinn, Andrew Merry, Southbound and the cast of Ayr Gaiety pantomime hosted by the hilarious Steve McKenna.
This special Christmas in Ayr weekend kicks off a wonderful festive season in Ayr with further entertainment and activities planned throughout the weekends in November and December.
The Ayr Christmas lights switch on is one of five special switch on events in South Ayrshire with others planned as follows: Wintertainment in Troon (Sunday 16 November 2014), Maybole Switch On (Friday 29 November 2014), Prestwick Switch On (Sunday 30 November 2014) and Girvan Switch On (Friday 5 December 2014).
Full details of these events and all the fantastic Christmas and New Year events can be found on www.southayrshirechristmas.com with brochures available soon from Council premises.