Eileen Howat, Counting Officer for the South Ayrshire Council area, has announced the local total for votes cast for each answer in the referendum on the United Kingdom's membership of the European Union, held on Thursday 23 June 2016.
In South Ayrshire, the total number of ballot papers counted was 61,542.
- The total number of votes cast in favour of REMAIN was 36,265.
- The total number of votes cast in favour of LEAVE was 25,241.
The number of ballot papers rejected was 36. They were rejected for the following reasons:
- 14 voted for both answers
- 2 included writing or a mark by which the voter could be identified; and
- 20 were unmarked or void for uncertainty.
The turnout for the South Ayrshire Council area was 69.8%, with 61,542 voters returning a ballot paper from a total registered electorate of 88,116.