Accessibility Skip to main content

Skin Piercing and Tattooing licence

To run any form of skin piercing or tattooing business including acupuncture, ear and body piercing and electrolysis (whether from premises or mobile), a licence must be obtained from South Ayrshire Council.

You must be a fit and proper person and not be disqualified from holding a licence.

You must meet strict standards with regard to your:

  • premises
  • facilities
  • equipment

You may be exempt if you are a regulated health care professional.

How to apply

Please contact South Ayrshire Council using the contact details below in the first instance.

What happens next?

Your premises will be visited and inspected.

Public notice of the application may be given in a local newspaper and objections may be considered.

South Ayrshire Council may make such reasonable inquiries as they think fit and include the results of these inquiries in matters they take into account, but where they intend to include any of these results they must notify you.

You may be given the opportunity to make representations.

It is in the public interest that the South Ayrshire Council must process your application before it can be granted. We would expect to process your application within 183 calendar days or 131 working days. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Will Tacit Consent apply

Yes, where the local authority fails to make a decision within six months of receipt of the application, the licence is deemed to be granted or renewed.

What if I have been refused approval?

Please contact South Ayrshire Council using the contact details below in the first instance.

You can request reasons in writing for a refusal to renew, a variation or suspension of a licence within 28 days of the date of the decision.

If your application is refused you cannot apply again in respect of the same activity in the same area within one year of the refusal unless there has been a material change of circumstances.

You may appeal to the sheriff against the decision which must be lodged within 28 days from the date of the decision.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the service provider by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice or you can contact us directly. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Who to contact

Licensing Services
South Ayrshire Council
County Buildings
Wellington Square
Ayr KA7 1DR
Tel: 01292 617682

Trade Associations

Not applicable

Was this page helpful?  Yes  No

Thank you for your feedback!

We're sorry about that. Why wasn't it helpful?
No response is given so please do not include contact information.

Weekly newsletter

Follow us