Accessibility Skip to main content

Houses in Multiple Occupation

A licence requires to be obtained from the Local Authority if it is intended to use a property as a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO). A house is an HMO if it is the only or principal residence of three or more qualifying persons from three or more families.

Where an owner of a house lives there and lets out rooms, or shares with friends, the owner is not counted as a "qualifying person", nor are any members of their family that live with them.

The property must also meet South Ayrshire Council's physical and management standards.


Project Officer
Housing and Facilities
South Ayrshire Council
2-6 The Cross
Prestwick KA9 1AN
Tel: 01292 612925

Was this page helpful?  Yes  No

Thank you for your feedback!

We're sorry about that. Why wasn't it helpful?
No response is given so please do not include contact information.

Weekly newsletter

Follow us