Accessibility Skip to main content

Private Landlord Registration In South Ayrshire

All private landlords letting properties in Scotland must apply for registration in the register of landlords.

The aim of landlord registration is to ensure that all private landlords in Scotland are 'fit and proper' to be letting residential property. The requirement will help local authorities to remove disreputable landlords from the market and protect tenants and their neighbours from the impact of antisocial behaviour and mismanaged property on the wider community.

Do I need to register?

I am a landlord letting private rented property.

You will have to register if you are a private landlord letting residential property in Scotland, unless one or more of the exemptions covers all the houses you let. Letting part of your own home is exempt as is a house let to the tenant of an agricultural holding or croft. There are some other minor exemptions. If you are just entering the market, you should register before letting property.

I have an HMO licence - do I still need to register?

If you let a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), you will have already been found to be 'fit and proper' by your local authority and paid for a licence. You and your properties will still need to be on the register, but this will happen automatically and you will not need to pay. However, if you let any non-HMO properties, you must register these and pay a fee.

I am an accredited landlord - do I still have to register?

If you are a member of an accreditation scheme which involves a 'fit and proper to be letting houses' test, you may be registered automatically with no fee. Speak to your local authority to see if this applies to you.

I am an agent managing private rented property - do I need to register?

Although you are not obliged by law to register, you are encouraged to do so. In any case, the landlord whose properties you manage will need to list you on his or her application, and the local authority will check that you are fit and proper to be acting as a landlord. You may wish to register independently in order to be able to market yourself to clients as 'fit and proper'.

Getting registered

How do I go about registering?

You can register and pay your application fees in the following ways.


Please note that you have to register online to use this facility. This is also the only available method of payment if you register online.

Visit - payment can be made by credit or debit card using the secure server; you can print a copy of the payment for your own records.

We recommend that landlords keep a full record of all registration payments made. By registering online, the total amount payable (a full purchase summary detailing all the submitted fees and discounts where applicable) will be calculated automatically.

In person

You can take your completed application form to any of our Customer Service Centres where you can pay by cash, debit card. postal order, cheque (made payable to South Ayrshire Council, with your name, address and landlord registration number (if you have one) on the back) or credit card (please note a 2% surcharge will be applied).

By post (cheque or postal order)

You can send a cheque or postal order with your completed application form. Please make cheques payable to South Ayrshire Council and write your name, address and landlord registration number if you have one, on the back of any cheque payments.

If someone else is paying on behalf of the registered lead landlord, please ask the agent, friend or family member to write down who they are paying on behalf of, or provide details of the registration numbers if known. This allows us to identify the purchaser for each landlord and link the payment directly to the correct landlord.

Application forms must be sent with full payment to:

Landlord Registration

Housing and Facilities
South Ayrshire Council
Freemans Hall
2-6 The Cross

Was this page helpful?  Yes  No

Thank you for your feedback!

We're sorry about that. Why wasn't it helpful?
No response is given so please do not include contact information.

Weekly newsletter

Follow us