Fuel poverty and climate change in South Ayrshire
South Ayrshire Council is committed to achieving the Scottish Government’s objective of
eradicating fuel poverty by 2016, as far as is reasonably practicable. Our approach to tackling fuel
poverty is multi-faceted and supports people in all types of housing circumstance.
In addition to the challenging targets relating to fuel poverty the Scottish Government has
introduced targets in relation to climate change. The Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009 placed
a duty on public bodies to help reduce Scotland’s CO2 emissions. Around 25% of greenhouse gas
emissions derive from houses.
The Housing Service and partner agencies intend to achieve five outcomes relating to fuel poverty
and climate change:
- Reduction in households in fuel poverty in line with achieving the Scottish Government
objective of eradicating fuel poverty by 2016;
- Reduction in households in extreme fuel poverty;
- Reduction of pensioner households in fuel poverty;
- An increase in the percentage of private properties with National Energy Housing Rating
score between 6 – 10;
- Scottish Housing Quality Standard compliance in social rented stock by 2015.
The approach we are adopting has five key strands:
- Partnership Working
We will identify areas at risk of fuel poverty and deliver advice and support.
We will widen access to advice and support about energy efficiency and target households most vulnerable to fuel poverty
- Improving Energy Efficiency and Supporting Renewable Energy Sources
We will work towards Scottish Housing Quality Standard within the social rented sector and maximise access to various funding streams, e.g. Universal Home Insulation Scheme Green Deal and Energy Company Obligation (ECO).
- New Build Provision
We will ensure Local Authority & RSL new build properties are completed to the highest levels of energy efficiency.
- Monitoring and Evaluation
We will keep up to date with progress through the Local Housing Strategy monitoring tool
Please refer to our Fuel Poverty and Climate Change Statement for more details.