Rozelle House Galleries
Rozelle House is an Accredited Museum under the MLA Accreditation Scheme
We are open all year round
Monday to Saturday: 10am – 5pm
Sunday: 12pm – 5pm
The Royal Burgh of Ayr held the Rozelle lands as part of the Barony lands of Alloway
until an auction in 1754 to reduce the Burgh debt brought sale of the lands to Robert
Hamilton for £2,000. The Hamilton family made their fortune in the sugar and tobacco
industries in the West Indies. The first mansion house was finished by 1760 and was
in the classical style of Robert Adam. During the early 19th Century the house was
remodelled by David Bryce to remove the previous classical structure.
The House and estate flourished throughout the 18th and 19th Centuries, but by the 1960s
the Hamilton family were struck by high death duties and taxation which led to the sale
of much of the surrounding land. In 1968 the House, with sadly little of its historic
interior remaining, was gifted to the Royal Burgh of Ayr leading to its establishment
as the local authority Museum and Art Gallery. Between 1975-76 the servant's quarters
and stable block were converted into the Maclaurin Galleries with funds from the
bequest of Mrs Mary Ellen Maclaurin.
Rozelle House is now a major display venue with a varied programme of exhibitions, events
and workshops. It’s also the permanent home to Alexander Goudie's brilliant Tam O' Shanter
cycle of paintings, some of which are on display all year.
One room is dedicated to the Ayrshire Yeomanry, where the regiment display a range of their
artefacts, uniform and photographs. Rozelle Tea Room is open onsite from 9am, selling hot
drinks, lunches and delicious homemade cakes.
View directions using Google Maps.