Monday to Saturday: 10am - 5pm
Sunday: 12noon - 5pm
The Maclaurin Trustis a group of Trustees, which was brought
into being following the bequest of Mrs Mary Ellen Maclaurin who died in 1971 to
have an Art Gallery or Museum erected within the Royal Burgh of Ayr in memory of
her husband, James Henry Maclaurin. After the building of such a place, the Trustees
were to apply the rest of the Trust funds towards the upkeep of the gallery/museum
and the purchase of items for a museum/gallery collection. It was decided that the
adjacent servant quarters and stable block at Rozelle House should be converted
into an art gallery in keeping with Mrs Maclaurin's bequest. The Maclaurin Galleries
opened in June 1976, and consists of 4 galleries, which are attached via corridors
to Rozelle House. The galleries are managed on a daily basis by South Ayrshire Council
Officers and a Service Level Agreement between the Maclaurin Trust and the Council.
This collection includes paintings, drawings, sculptures and prints
acquired by commission or purchased from artists or art dealers. The emphasis is
on the modern period, loosely defined as 1900 - 1990. The collection also includes
a small body of work from the 19th Century previously in the possession of the owners
of Rozelle House. A smaller collection of children's work also exists, being the
award winners in the Maclaurin Art Competition.
Ayr, KA7 4NQ
Tel: 01292 443708
Fax: 01292 442065
Was this page helpful?
Tell us if the information on this page is wrong. No response is given so please do not include contact
How can we improve this page?