Equality and diversity
is about creating a fairer society where everyone can participate and has the opportunity
to fulfil their potential.
is about recognising and valuing difference for the benefit of South Ayrshire communities,
people who use our services and our staff.
South Ayrshire's commitment
South Ayrshire Council is fully committed to the general principles of fairness, equality and human rights and seeks to apply these principles in all that it does as a community leader, service provider and employer, education authority and Licensing Board by:
- challenging and eliminating unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation wherever it can;
- being inclusive, fair minded and transparent in all that it does;
- tackling prejudice and promoting understanding and inclusion; and
- consulting and engaging with service users and employees
The Council has developed its Equality and Diversity Strategy which sets out the its approach to equality and diversity and provides in detail the Council’s arrangements for meeting the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 and the Equality Act 2010 (Specific Duties) (Scotland) Regulations.
Council has responsibilities under this legislation as:
- a Service Provider
- an Employer
- an Education Authority
- a Licensing Board and
The Strategy explains these responsibilities along with more detailed information on:
- how equality is built into everything the Council does (mainstreaming) and
- the improvements and changes from the work it is taking forward on its own and in partnership to meet the equality and diversity needs and priorities identified by its communities (equality outcomes).
As the Council continues to make progress its Equality and Diversity Strategy will continue to develop and build into a resource of equality and diversity information and guidance which we hope will be of use to individuals, communities, and our stakeholder organisations.
Please contact the Council on our feedback form.