Building Standards Customer Charter
Last updated: September 2016.
Who Are We?
Building Standards has been in existence for many years and was previously known as Building Control. The primary role known as Building Standards Service is to protect and improve the health, safety and convenience of people using buildings. This is achieved by promoting compliance with specific legislation relating to buildings.
- Process Building Warrant Applications
- Inspect Construction Work relating to Building Warrants
- Requests for alternative solutions to meet Building Standards
- Carry Out Enforcement of Building Standards
- Process Housing Grant Applications
- Inspect and Assess Dangerous Buildings
- Provide Licensing Consultations
- Assess and Inspect Certifiable Sports Grounds and Regulated Stands
- Maintain Street Nameplates, Street Naming and Numbering
- Issue Property Enquiry Information
We have a team of courteous and experienced staff who will be happy to offer advice
and assistance with any enquiries you may have.
When you contact us either in writing or by email we will aim to:
- Give you the name and direct dial telephone number of the staff dealing with your
- Provide you with a full reply with as much information as possible.
- Deal with general correspondence within 10 working days of receipt
When You Contact Us By Telephone:
- We will give our name and Section when answering the telephone
- We will try to deal with your telephone enquiry at the time or pass you to staff
- If the person you need to speak to is not available, you can choose to speak to
someone else who can help. If you leave a message we will get back to you within
1 working day.
You can expect us to:
- Be courteous and professional at all times
- Give you as much information and immediate advice as possible
- Observe privacy and confidentially, when appropriate
- Monitor and evaluate our performance
- Give you a quality service at all times
- Endeavour to provide clean, accessible public offices that ensure privacy, comply
with occupational and safety standards and facilitate access for disabled people and people with additional support needs
Specific Service Standards
We will endeavour to:
- Provide a response to your Building Warrant Application within 4 weeks
- Respond to requests for drain tests within 24 hours (Monday to Friday)
- Provide a response to your request to accept a Certificate of Completion within 2
- Respond immediately to reports of Dangerous Buildings
- Respond within one working day to requests for 'one stop' property enquiries
- Have staff available who can deal with your enquiry
- Explain how and why a decision was reached
Building Standards staff are always available during office hours (8.45am - 4.45pm
Monday to Thursday, 8.45am - 4.00pm on Friday) to provide general information and
advice. The advice given will be objective and as helpful as possible without prejudice
to the formal consideration of an Application by the Council
When You Ask For An Appointment
If you wish to meet staff to discuss any aspect of the Service please contact (01292)
616253 to arrange a mutually convenient appointment.
Identification Of Staff
All Council staff are issued with identification cards, which they are expected
to display prominently. The cards give the name, position and department of the
cardholder and they also include a photograph.
If Council staff are calling at your home or place of business, you are entitled
to ask to see their identity card so you can satisfy yourself that they represent
the Council. The details on the identification card can be verified by contacting
the telephone number printed on the identification card.
Treating Everyone Fairly
Development and Environment is committed to promoting equal opportunities
for the community it serves
What You Can Do To Help
- Keep us informed of any changes in your personal circumstances that may affect any
service that we provide to you.
- Attend any appointment on time, or let us know if you cannot do so
- Behave in a considerate and polite way so we can give you and other customers the
standard of service you would expect.
- Provide the information we ask for when we ask for it. This will help speed up the
- Read information sent to you carefully and follow any instructions given.
- Ensure that you read all information that we provide for you, it is to your benefit.
- Please be patient as there will be times when we are exceptionally busy. We will
however, make every effort to keep waiting times to a minimum.
What If I Am Not Satisfied?
If you are unhappy with any aspect of our service, please contact us and we will
try to resolve any problems quickly, and explain what we have done and why.
You can also make a complaint in any one of the following ways:
Advice On A Dispute Resolution Process
If you disagree with an interpretation of the Building Standards that the Building Standards Authority is adopting in the
consideration of a building warrant that you have submitted or will require to submit you may request an interpretation through
Local Authority Building Standards Scotland.
For details of the process and relevant application forms follow this link
We hope you will find this information helpful and that we continue to meet the
standards we have set. Please let us know what you think by using the Council's
feedback procedure or by contacting us directly at the address below.
How And When You Can Phone Or Visit Us
We are based at Burns House, Burns Statue Square, Ayr, KA7 1UT.
Opening Hours: 8.45am - 4.45pm Monday to Thursday, 8.45am - 4pm on Friday.
Telephone Number (01292) 616253.